Serena Woods is a strategic and communications specialist with years of experience successfully navigating the worlds of politics, non-profits, and public policy.
Before joining Hilltop, Serena spent years developing and implementing strategic communications plans for a variety of non-profit organizations and political campaigns in Colorado where her work helped elect progressive leaders, pass and implement health care reform and elevate progressive voices in the media.
- Director of Strategic Engagement at the Colorado Consumer Health Initiative: Developed and managed all strategic communications supporting CCHI’s efforts to advocate for accessible health care for all Coloradans. This included the successful “Thanks Obamacare” online campaign that reached approximately half a million people and was the first progressive campaign to reframe the term Obamacare.
- Women Vote Director for Organizing for America Colorado 2012: Managed the Women Operation Vote Program in Colorado during President Barack Obama’s successful reelection campaign. The program engaged grasstops and grassroots women across the state, strengthened the campaign’s persuasion and turnout capacity and helped carry Barack Obama to a 5.3% margin of victory.
- Campaign Manager at Cary Kennedy for treasurer 2010: Managed Cary Kennedy’s re-election campaign for State Treasurer. In the worst political cycle for Democrats in at least twenty years, Kennedy lost by less than 25,000 votes, while other constitutional Democrats lost by 13% and 6%.
- Communications Director at Change That Works Colorado: Developed and implemented communications strategies to support statewide grassroots advocacy around health care reform.
- Communications Consultant for UFCW Local 7: Managed online communications for UFCW’s contract negotiations with major grocers.
- Communications and Marketing Director at Colorado Media Matters: Managed communications efforts to help CMM comprehensively monitor, analyze and correct conservative misinformation in the Colorado media and build relationships with mainstream media, online media, elected officials, donors and the greater progressive community.
Born and raised in Evergreen, she is proud to call Colorado her home state. In true Colorado fashion she is a former ski instructor and loves what this state has to offer. Serena holds a B.A. in Public Relations from the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication.